Bee Trap. Enjoy an insect-free picnic.
- Before planning to spend time in the yard where bees congregate, pour a little Mountain Dew in a bowl and add a tablespoon of dish detergent. The sweet soda will attract the bees and the detergent will keep them from flying away. They'll drown in the bowl and you'll be free to enjoy the outdoors!
Chives keep worms out of apples
- Plant chives under your apple trees to keep worms out of apples.
Natural Insect Repellent plants
Tips for keeping insects at bay.
- I planted Silver King Artemisia years ago to use in wreaths I make to decorate the doors of our home. This herb will also discourage insects from coming near the doorway.
- For a homemade insect repellent, mix one cup distilled water, 1 cup rubbing alcohol, 1 tbsp. each lavender essential oil, citronella essential oil, and pennyroyal oil. Shake well and rub on exposed areas of skin. Avoid eyes and mouth. This blend of oils will effectively chase insects and soothe and cool the skin at the same time.
- To keep flies away from your door, plant tansy near the doorstep. Then put fresh sprigs of the plant in your open window to keep flies and mosquitoes away. Tansy is a fern like herb that grows to a height of the two to the three feet and has yellow button flowers.
- Pennyroyal oil on the threshold with repels ants and fleas.
Protect Your Garden Plants From Insects. An easy to make natural pesticide.
To keep insects out of the garden,
- mix I cup vinegar
- 1-cup water
- 1-cup vegetable oil
- 4 cloves crushed garlic.
- Apply liberally with a spray bottle.